Planning Your Visit
Beaver Island can be accessed via private boat, plane, or commercial airplanes or car ferry from Charlevoix, Michigan. Reservations are required for plane travel or to take your car on the ferry. Ferry foot traffic does not require reservations. Fresh Air Aviation utilizes the Beaver Island Township Airport, and Island Airways flies into private Welke Airport. Nine restaurants are scattered throughout the north end of the Island.
- Beaver Island Boat Company: (231) 547-2311 or http://www.bibco.com/schedules-3/
- Fresh Air Aviation: 1-888-359-7448 or http://www.freshairaviation.net/
- Island Airways: 1-800-524-6895 or http://islandairways.com/
Beaver island community center:
The Beaver Island Community Center is the Beaver Island Birding Trail’s Headquarters. The Community Center is conveniently located in the heart of the harbor and business area across from the Beaver Island Boat Company and kitty-corner to the Beaver Island Municipal Marina.
Please stop by our inviting Welcome Center for general information about the island or to have your questions answered by a knowledgeable Island resident. Birding checklists, maps, and other information are available along with free internet access. www.BeaverIslandCommunityCenter.org
Two public campgrounds are located on the Island. Both offer primitive camping only, and neither has a reservation system. St. James Campground, located on the north shore, is a 15 minute hike from the ferry. The Bill Wagner Campground, located about 7 miles south of town, is best reached by bike or vehicle. The Beaver Island Hideaway Campground is a private camping experience located 8 miles south of town, off West Side Drive. In addition to motels and campgrounds, the Island has many rental homes which may be booked by the week on Vrbo or Airbnb.
- Beaver Lodge: (231)-448-2396 Web: http://beaverislandlodge.com/
- Beaver Island Retreat-Glamping: Web: http://beaverislandretreat.com/
- Beaver Island Hideaway Campground: Web: http://www.beaverislandhideawaycampground.com/
- Erin Motel: https://www.erinmotel.com/
- Emerald Isle Inn: https://www.emeraldislandinn.com/
- Harbor View: (231) 448-2201 Web: http://beaverislandretreat.com/
- Oak Woods Lodge, formally the Laurain Lodge: (231) 448-2099 Web: http://www.oakwoodscondominiums.com/beaver-island/
- The Brother’s Place: (231) 448-2204 Web: http://www.michigan.org/property/the-brothers-place-lodge/
- Tara’s Meadow: Web: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2726377?s=aQnR
Transportation available on the Island:
- Duffy’s Rentals: beaverislandrentalcars.com 231-448-3132
- Burton Car Rentals: 231-838-2882 or 231-448-2365
- Charlevoix County Transit System: http://www.charlevoixcounty.org/transit.asp
- Beaver Island Transit Authority- 24 hour advance reservations needed – (231) 448-2026 or 1-(800) 918-3447
- Beaver Island Boat Company: (231) 448-2500 http://www.bibco.com/tours-6/
Bikes, Kayaks, Paddle Boards:
- Happy Paddle: Kayak, Stand-up Paddle boards and Bicycles (630) 488-2949 https://www.happypaddle.com/
- Lakesports: (231) 448-216
Outer Island Transfers:
- Paradise Bay Boat Charter and Dive Shop: (231) 448-3195 or (231) 632-1063 https://paradisebaydiveshop.com/
- Kelly Day Charters: http://www.kellydaycharters.com/
EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES ON BEAVER ISLAND:
Visiting the island will give you access to a wide array of activities in addition to birding. You can learn more about services and other offering on the Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce Website. The Beaver Island Community Center has a variety of events including live music, plays, exercise classes, games and more. Check out what’s happening there on their website at biccenter.org. You can purchase tickets for upcoming island events (including Warblers on the Water events) on the island ticketing site. For a rundown of current island activities, tune in to the island’s radio station and listen to the Community Calendar Report weekdays at 9, noon, 3 and 6. A full listing of upcoming events also appears below.